Thursday, September 6, 2007

A Trip to the Zoo!

Matt and I decided to get out of the house a couple of weekends ago (Aug 25th) and check out the phoenix zoo! I was so excited because I love animals and was hoping that the conditions would be good at the zoo. The temperature was only in the 80s because we left early in the morning so it was a perfect start!


As soon as we approached the entrance, I was impressed. We had to walk over a giant bridge to get in and this is what we saw on either side!













I don't know if you can tell but these fish are HUGE! You can see some of the turtles in the water next to this big guy!






We proceeded through the gates where I immediately needed a snack, of course! I got a soft pretzel with cheese and Matt got an ice cream cone. When we were done, we fed the extras to a friendly pigeon that decided to join us for our snack.

The bald eagle exhibit was next and he was awesome because he was sitting RIGHT by the front of the fence! You could almost reach out and touch him!






One of the neat things that we did not expect was that while we were looking at the giraffe exhibit, we could see a giant mountain range in the distance and it looked like there was an animal on top of the mountain. I told Matt it was just a statue probably put there by the zoo, but he swore it was moving.

He's barely a speckle in this picture but you can see him to the right of the peak on the mountain. Here is a zoomed in picture. And sure enough, he was real! He kept walking back and forth up there and was part of the mountain goat exhibit!













Here we are, using the timer on the camera and sitting it on a boulder, haha!



And last, but not least, my two favorite exhibits! I had never seen a wild dog in real life before! I was so excited! We got to the exhibit just in time to see the feeding. They were so cute! I just wanted to give them kisses!


And here's our favorite! The Orangutan exhibit was sooo hilarious! There was a baby orangutan born in May 2006 and she was absolutely a hoot! She was so adorable, swinging and playing. Her parents just laid around and the mom was up above her on that shelf. Every once in a while, the mom would lean over the edge and check to make sure the baby was ok. It was so cute! She'd reach down and pat her bottom and everything!





We had a good time, and were exhausted by the time we left! Near the end we just got tired so we zoomed through some of the exhibits. I can't imagine braving the zoo with a baby!!

2 comments:

Andi said...

It's MORE fun with a baby.

SuzyQ said...

You got fantastic pictures! I love the hyena and the turles. How cute!